Pages

Friday, January 15, 2010

25x52: American Red Cross



From the American Red Cross’ Info Page:

“As part of a worldwide movement that offers neutral humanitarian care to the victims of war, the American Red Cross distinguishes itself by also aiding victims of devastating natural disasters. Over the years, the organization has expanded its services, always with the aim of preventing and relieving suffering.”

Organization Homepage:

http://www.redcross.org/
 
Why I Chose the American Red Cross:

The American Red Cross is well established and well regarded, offering a host of services to help those is need. I had already picked the Red Cross for week three when the earthquake hit Haiti the other day, so when I went to make my donation yesterday and the option to direct my contribution to relief efforts there came up, that is of course where my money went.

Normally I would only focus on the organization I’m giving to this week, but the situation in Haiti warrants further exploration, and the Red Cross isn’t the only organization out there marshaling its resources. If you plan to give elsewhere, make sure you aren’t being scammed by checking out the organizations credentials first. If you aren’t sure, ask a friend for a recommendation, or head over to Charity Navigator, an organization that tracks and vettes charitable organizations, they currently have a list of groups providing aid to those affected by the current crisis in Haiti.

Donation Page:
The American Red Cross' "Giving and Getting Involved" page

My Donation Receipt:


No comments: